The Five-Minute Warm-Up is a concise yet thorough daily routine to strengthen essential skills that contribute to successful performances. Comprising 150 measures of exercises in tone, tuning, technique, and musicianship at a tempo of 120 bpm, The Five-Minute Warm-Up clocks in at precisely 5:00, providing band directors a consistent, efficient approach to starting rehearsals on the marching grid or field, or in the classroom.
The Five-Minute Warm-Up is scored for Piccolo/Flute, Oboe, Clarinet 1-2, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Alto Sax 1-2, Tenor Sax, Baritone Sax, Trumpet 1-2, Horn in F, Trombone, Baritone/Euphonium B.C. and T.C., and Tuba. It includes nine progressively sequenced drills:
- Unison concert F whole note, half notes, quarter notes and eighth notes; F chord tuning on root-fifth-third
- Unison “Remington” long tones descending from concert F to Bb; Bb chord tuning on root-fifth-third
- Unison “Remington” long tones descending from concert Bb to E; four-measure chord progression in whole notes
- Unison “Remington” long tones ascending from concert Bb to F; four-measure chord progression in half notes
- Brass: Simple quarter-note lip slur descending from concert Bb to E harmonic series; Woodwinds: quarter-note 1-2-3-5 scale tones on same series as brass
- Brass: Intermediate quarter- and eighth-note lip slur ascending from concert E to Bb harmonic series; Woodwinds quarter- and eighth-note 1-2-3-5-octave scale tones on same series as brass; All: four-measure chord progression in quarter- and half-notes
- Eighth-note articulation exercise based on concert Bb scale sequences, alternating staccato and legato articulations, with unison brass and unison woodwinds answering each other
- Unison woodwind technique exercise/articulation patterns over brass chord progression
- Concluding chorale: Seven-fold “Amen” from the choral anthem, “The Lord Bless You and Keep You,” by Peter Lutkin
Notable throughout The Five-Minute Warm-Up are dynamic markings, articulations, and other musical expressions that make this daily routine an exercise in musicianship as well as technique.
This item is available through Pender’s Music Co. (click link).
Score, parts (8.5×11 pages) — $50